Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Got Milk?



So my 7 year old came home from school today. As he was taking off his coat and he asks me the following question, "Mama, do girls, women make milk?"
I said, trying not to giggle, "why do you ask?"
Luke,"Well, someone said that girls make milk...that's not true?" Luke looks at me with a funny puzzled look waiting for me to answer.
I said,"Yes, women can make milk."
Even funnier look on his sweet face. With his eyebrow lifted, he asks, "Why?"
Me, "to feed babies."
"Huh," he questions.
"Because, after a woman has a baby her body produces milk for the baby to eat," keeping my answers simple.
Questions keep coming, "Where does the milk come out?"
Me,"Out of her breasts."
"What,how does that work," Luke replies.
"The mother puts the baby to the breast and the baby eats," I reply, keeping it light but, wanting the conversation to end.
Luke,"ahhh, did I do that?"
Me,"Yes."
He leaves the room. I am off the hook.
Luke returns 10 to 15 minutes later and asks,"How?"
"How what, honey?" I reply.
"How does it work, your body and the milk?"

Now we are into the science part of the discussion. I then go into an abbreviated version of how a woman's body creates a baby and when the baby comes out that the body says time to feed the baby and it makes milk. Luke was so surprised by this fact. It was very funny to see his reactions to my answers. I wish I could have had this on video.

He is such a cute kid and I know he thought that there is no way that girls make milk. It really is a new twist to...Got Milk!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Ah, yes. I hate those "talks." You did a great job!!

The Wrights said...

I love little kids' comments and questions! Steve even started something similar to this with me tonight!

I Tagged you....see my blog....I hope you don't hate me!
Christie
http://thewrights4.blogspot.com/

The Wrights said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Tremont Scott's said...

Tag!! You're it!

Stop by my blog for details.
http://tremont-scotts.blogspot.com/

Lisa S :-)

The Tremont Scott's said...

Oops, Christie and I are on the same wave length! I got tagged twice also ... and I'm tagging Christie next! LOL

Lisa S

Jeff and Amy said...

That is so funny, the questions get even better as they get older. LOL

Heather Howell said...

Shouldn't Matt be answering his son's questions??? Looks like he gets the menstruation questions from Maggie then!!!! :)